The 2023 US Federal Holidays list shows special days celebrated all over the country. It includes well-known holidays like Independence Day and some less famous ones, giving us a peek into events that influenced American culture.
In the United States, there are 11 special days called federal holidays. The government picks these days as holidays. On federal holidays, government offices that are not essential are shut, and government workers get paid for the day off.
Many local and state governments, as well as private businesses, also follow federal holidays. However, how these holidays are followed can be different depending on the employer.
For example, some employers might close their offices on these days, while others might let employees have the day off without pay. Some employers might even ask employees to work on federal holidays but pay them extra for the extra work.
Federal holidays are important for a few reasons. They give Americans a chance to celebrate and remember their country’s culture, history, and traditions. These holidays are also a time for friends and families to get together and have fun.
Why federal holidays are important
Here are some reasons why federal holidays are important:
- National unity’s promotion: Federal holidays help Americans unite and celebrate as a nation. They give everyone, no matter where they come from, a reason to celebrate what they all share.
- Economic activity promotion: These holidays help the economy by encouraging people to spend money on travel, food, and fun activities. They also help businesses make more sales.
- Employee morale promotion: Federal holidays let workers relax and recharge. They can also make workers happier and more productive.
In 2023, there are specific days that are considered federal holidays. All federal workers take these days off, and many local and state governments and private businesses do too.
|New Year’s Day||January 1||Sunday|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||January 16||Monday|
|Presidents’ Day||February 20||Monday|
|Memorial Day||May 29||Monday|
|Juneteenth National Independence Day||June 19||Monday|
|Independence Day||July 4||Tuesday|
|Labor Day||September 4||Monday|
|Columbus Day||October 9||Monday|
|Veterans Day||November 11||Saturday|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 23||Thursday|
|Christmas Day||December 25||Monday|
If a holiday happens on a Saturday, the Friday just before it is considered a holiday for payment and time off. If a holiday lands on a Sunday, the Monday right after it is seen as a holiday for payment and time off.
What to do on US federal holidays
Here are some things you can do on US federal holidays:
- Be with friends and family: It is a good time to see the people you love and create happy moments together.
- Join a holiday event: Many places have parades, parties, and special happenings to enjoy the holiday.
- Explore a museum or a place with history: Holidays are a good time to discover more about your country’s past.
- Shop: You can find sales and lower prices in many stores on federal holidays.
People May Ask
What are federal holidays?
Federal holidays are special days given by the government where you get the day off work and get paid. There are ten of these holidays each year, and some government offices are closed.
Is Labor Day a federal holiday?
Yes, Labor Day is a federal holiday in the United States. It happens on the first Monday in September, and it is a day to honour and remember the hard work and contributions of American workers.
Is May 1st a holiday in the USA?
May 1st is not a holiday in the USA, but it is an important day called May Day. It is a time to think about workers and their achievements. In the USA, a similar day called Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday in September.
How many federal holidays are there in the United States in 2023?
The U.S. government chooses 11 special days as federal holidays in 2023.